You can be a part of Whiskers. Submit your story, article, poem, drawing, or photos.
For Winter 2003 Issue you should have your topic decided by the first week in December. Remember, December 15th issue is going to feature how-to articles in addition to the normal departments.
- Submissions are due by December 15th.
Some Suggested Topics:
- general care
- breeding experiences
- poems, stories, or other works of fiction
- product reviews for animal supplies, movies, or books
- a short story about your first mouse/rat/hamster/small-pet and why you love that kind of animal so much
- cartoons or comics
- recipes for pet treats
- “Rainbow Bridge” memorials – a short story about a beloved small pet who is now gone
Topics We Suggest You Avoid:
- giving specific medical advice (unless you yourself are a vet)
- extremely controversial issues such as the morality of feeder animals
Acceptable Submission Methods:
- disk or CD-Rom
- as a last resort, paper / printed photograph
Acceptable Computer Files:
We can accept your writings in any common word-processing format such as plain text (txt), Rich Text Format (rtf), Microsoft Word (doc), WordPerfect, Microsoft Publisher (pub), or Quark.
Please do NOT add tons of fonts and formatting. This needs to be manually removed to import the file into our layout program, and it actually causes delays.
Photos, drawings, and logos should be at least 300 dpi and in any of the following format: Photoshop (PSD), TIFF, JPEG, Gif, BMP, or EPS. When in doubt, save the images larger than you think they need to be.
If you do not have access to a computer, we are able to scan in your photos and drawings. We prefer not to retype long documents like articles if at all possible.
No later than one week before the issue is due to be mailed. Whiskers is mailed four times a year, usually in March, June, September, & December.
Mailed-in submission must include a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) in order for us to return your submission.
You retain original copyright to the submission but by submitting you agree to allow TRC full rights to use, reprint, & include in TRC’s web site.